Submission deadline extended to Monday, June 17th, 2019.
Photography by members of the Dubuque Camera Club will be on display this fall during the club’s 7th consecutive exhibit at the Dubuque Museum of Art in downtown Dubuque. The exhibit is scheduled to be on display from September 21 to November 10, 2019. Open to current club members only. Participating in club exhibits is one of the perks of Dubuque Camera Club membership.
- 1. Does it fit the Reflections theme?
- 2. Will it meet minimum specs for printing?
- 3. Are you willing to pay for a print? (The club will subsidize 50% of the cost of one print per member)
- 4. After the show ends, what will you do with your print?
Reflections theme. Use your creativity when responding to the theme. For instance, it’s OK to submit a portrait of somebody pondering a deep thought, because that is a “reflection.” Also think of mirrors, bodies of water, refraction, shadows, and windows at night. Think about what sort of image you would like to have hanging on your wall, because you will get the print back after the show ends.
Image dimensions & printing specs. We will again be ordering 12-inch by 18-inch metal prints. Crop to 2:3 or 3:2 and export the highest quality possible. Here’s the ideal size in pixels: 3000×4500. If your end result is not that big, do not upsize. Orientation can be either landscape or portrait. Submit JPGs only (use RGB). Try to use 200 dpi or greater but you probably should not resample. No watermarks on final images. Remember, unlike N4C submissions, there are no strict upper limits on file size. If these guidelines sound confusing, just do your best! If there are any issues with your image, there will be time for you to submit a new version.
Filename. Use your member number in the filename, along with the title of the image. Do not put your name in the filename. We are doing it this way, with blind submissions, because the art museum needs to curate/choose the images anonymously. If you only want one image in the exhibit, the member number will help the museum to choose one image per club member.
- Your image must fit the Reflections theme. You must be a club member to participate in the exhibit. Dimensions: 2:3 or 3:2 (portrait or landscape). To be printed on aluminum at 12-inches x 18-inches. Send in JPG only (RGB). Try to have the longest side be a minimum of 3600px, but do NOT upsize. (Good: 3600×2400 Better: 4500×3000). It’s OK to submit up to five preliminary images. No watermarks on final image.
Deadline: Reflections submissions deadline has been extended to Monday, June 17th, 2019. Submissions will be posted in the club’s Smugmug gallery. You can email them to Ken. Use your member number in the filename. Use“Reflections submission” as the subject of your email. You can also submit by using the submission form. (Club members, check your email for the link).
Inclusion. Participating in club exhibits is one of the perks of Dubuque Camera Club membership. The exhibit is limited to club members in good standing ONLY. There will not be a call for artists and it is not open to the public. To participate, your club dues need to be paid for the current season AND, ideally, you need to pay your dues punctually in September when the new N4C season starts.
Cost. We hope to have (at least) one print chosen by each member who wishes to participate. They will be printed on metal, with estimated cost in the range of $50-80. Each participating photographer will need to decide how many prints they are willing to pay for, and whether they would be open to having multiple prints in the show. (There will be from 12 to 22 total prints chosen for the show.) The club will give each participating club member a financial subsidy of 50% of the cost of one print per club member. Those who have more than one print in the show will need to pay the full cost of the second (or third) print. We’re ordering as a group, and payment will be requested in advance, with exact details to be sent out by email.
Timeline. We will preview submissions during our June 3rd picnic (Submissions deadline has been extended to Monday, June 17th). Image selection will be made by museum staff this summer. (ONLY SEND IN PICTURES THAT YOU LIKE!) After selections are made, we will ask for final images. Payment will be due from participating club members, and then prints will be ordered as a group.
Paperwork. We will ask for biographical information (or a brief artist’s statement) for a brochure. Probably around 50 words per photographer. The museum will also need you to fill out an Incoming Loan Agreement.
These details may change as we move forward. For that reason, if you would like to participate in this year’s DuMA exhibit, it’s important for you to attend meetings and read your club emails.
✔ Jan/Feb: Discussion of exhibit theme ideas.
✔ Feb 18: Club members vote in a poll. Reflections chosen as a theme.
✔ March 4: Exhibit committee chosen: Robert Felderman, Pamela Brandt
✔ April 1: Club decides to order 12×18-inch metal prints like last year.
✔ May 20: Reflections images may be submitted for Critique Night.
✔ June 3: Reflections submissions reviewed at club picnic. Submitted images are posted in an online gallery.
• Monday, June 17th (the Monday after Father’s Day). Submissions deadline has been extended to this date.
• July ___? Art museum curator will make selections. Club members with image(s) in the show must send in final images and payment before prints are ordered. The club will subsidize 50% of the cost for one image per club member.
• Aug. ___? Prints will be ordered as a group.
• Sept. 17: Prints to be delivered to art museum.
• Sept. 21, 2019: Exhibit opens.
• Oct. 4? First Fridays reception / Fall Into Art gallery tour (tentative)
• Nov 10, 2019: Exhibit closes. Club picks up prints from museum.
• Dec. 2, 2019. Remaining prints may be picked up during the club’s holiday party.