Ten brave photographers attended the Dubuque Camera Club meeting on Monday, April 16, 2018.
Only the most courageous creative spirits dare to attend club meetings on judging nights. Typically, more experienced club members realize that they may be called on to either judge the N4C competition, or stay up past their bedtime, so they wisely stay away. Thank you to these brave souls:
Judges: Greg Nauman, Cecil Pfeiffer, and Andreas Exner
Facilitators: Ron Tigges, Cara Pusateri, and Eleanor Schueller
We had 108 photos in the Digital Black and White category to evaluate. Photos were judged by three judges on a scale of 0 to 5 in three categories: technique, composition, and interest. Many of the submitted images were simply awesome.
Remember, looking at photos from other clubs can be educational. When our club judges a competition category, the images are shown on a high-res TV as well as on a bigger projection screen. This way, the audience can see what’s happening and admire the submissions too. (All the more reason to attend on judging nights!)
If you missed this meeting (or had to run away early because it was past your bedtime) don’t forget that you will be able to see all the winning photos on the N4C website.
2018 DuMA Exhibit Theme
The color red will be the theme for our upcoming annual photography exhibit at the Dubuque Museum of Art. For ideas, Google “red photography.”
If you are using Lightroom CC (the newer, cloud version of Lightroom), you can — theoretically — search your own uploaded photos for “red.” (Please report back if you find this tip useful.)
Each member in good standing (i.e. with annual dues of only $20 paid up-to-date) may submit up to 5 images to the art museum show. They will be uploaded to our Smugmug site, then the museum curator will choose among them. Submission deadline June 18 (two weeks after the club picnic).
We will probably be doing metal prints again (12″x18″). Remember, every photo that is chosen will cost you about $65 to have printed and mounted. It’s OK to decide that you only want one of your images selected. Tell Ron about any suggestions regarding financial sponsorship of the show.
- May 6: Final, drop-dead deadline to submit your images to the N4C competition this year. Because we judged, our club can submit double black and white. Members, send your images to Cara or Ken by following the instructions in your membership packet. Longest side: 1920px
- Monday, May 7 @6:30 p.m. Regular club meeting. Mines of Spain. All tri-state area photography enthusiasts are welcome.
- May 21 @ 6:30 p.m. Club meeting
- June 4. Annual club potluck picnic. 6:00 start time. Final meeting of the 2017/2018 season.
- June 18. Deadline to submit images to Seeing Red. Email them to Ron.
- Sept. 4. First official meeting of the 2018/2019 season. Frantically finalize convention preparation. [Expect more convention-oriented planning meetings to be scheduled].
- Sept. 13-14-15, 2018. Blufftops & Visions photography convention in Dubuque.